Toluene - KN code:29023000
Toluene is a colourless liquid, boiling at 111 degrees C. Its odour is similar to benzene. Insoluble in water and unrestrictedly miscible with organic solvents. When stored, attention has to be paid to the material of the container, because toluene dissolves certain plastics. Highly volatile.
Toluene is an important chemical solvent and a starting material for numerous kinds of plastics.
The most significant products made of toluene are:
- The flammability of toluene is classified as grade "A". Its vapours are heavier then air, can be carried over long distances to the ignition source causing flash back fire.
- Water is not suitable for extinguishing toluene fires, only for cooling the tanks/containers.
- Toluene remains over the water surface and can re-ignite.
- Keep in places with proper ventilation, away from heat and ignition sources, strong oxidizing agents.
- Extinguishing media: CO2, extinguishing powder, alcohol-resistant foam and sand.
- Toluene can be stored in containers made of carbon steel, stainless steel or most other metals.
Packaging: Barrel (200 litres), jug (5 litres)
- Density at 15 degrees C: 0.865-0.875 g/cm3
- colourless, volatile liquid with sweetish pungent odour
- Richter Gedeon
- Reanal Labor
- Mol Group